Engagement Managers lead strategy, evaluation, and implementation projects with mission-driven clients. They typically join Cicero Social Impact with 5-7+ years of work experience, including in prior consulting or advisory roles.
About Cicero Social Impact
Cicero Social Impact is an advisor, resource, and thought partner for mission-driven funders and organizations who want to maximize their impact in the world. To maximize their impact, we help our clients across six data-driven services—impact strategy, monitoring and evaluation, performance management, professional development, collective impact, and fundraising analytics.
As a division of Cicero Group, the social impact practice marries a passion for societal improvement with the cutting-edge, data-driven capabilities required by Cicero’s best-in-class private and public sector clients. Our recent client list represents a wide range of prominent actors throughout the social sector, including Prudential Foundation, YouthBuild, the George W. Bush Institute, United Way, Denver Public Schools, the Utah State Office of Education, Medical Teams International, the Principal Impact Collaborative, Opera Philadelphia and more.
We are currently looking for passionate and experienced managers to develop clients’ impact strategies and program designs, conduct monitoring and evaluation, and advise on opportunities for performance improvement. Engagement managers are senior leaders in the firm with the opportunity to drive thought leadership in the sector. They are primarily responsible for managing client relationships, leading internal teams in developing solutions, and contributing to the growth and impact of the firm. In addition to generating significant impact across the social sector, this role also presents an exciting entrepreneurial opportunity given our relatively short history and rapid growth.
- Lead client projects in strategy, measurement, and performance improvement by:
- Building and maintaining strong, collaborative, impact-oriented relationships with senior clients,
- Articulating the core challenge to be solved and crafting a robust approach to address the solution’s key elements,
- Providing ongoing leadership to the project team to ensure on-time, high-quality execution of all deliverables, and
- Ensuring the entire process maximizes the client’s ability to implement the solution and improve once the project is over.
- Communicate effectively to understand client business objectives and strategic challenges
- Lead and manage internal teams in execution of project workplans and deliverables
- Build the firm as a member of the management team with responsibility for business development, thought-leadership, personnel recruiting and training, leadership of internal firm initiatives, etc.
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to working in the social sector
- Significant relevant professional experience, including:
- 3+ years as a strategy consultant, preferably with a leading consulting firm and one or more years as a manager or principal, OR
- 5+ years in senior operational or leadership roles in the social sector (i.e. with a foundation, nonprofit, and/or social enterprise), OR
- 5+ years in an advisory and/or intermediary capacity in the social sector (e.g. foundation program officer, evaluation consultant, impact investor, etc.)
- Extensive experience managing data-driven strategic planning, program design, and/or evaluation projects in the social sector, including familiarity with relevant frameworks and methodologies
- Graduate degree (MBA, MPP, PhD, JD, etc.)
- Strong strategic, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills; ability to identify insights, form strategic recommendations, and create and execute robust implementation plans
- Clear, concise communication skills (e.g. presentations, in-person discussions, emails, articles, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build relationships with clients and sector leaders
- Strong people, project, and process management skills, including concerted efforts to facilitate team members’ professional development
- A passion for continuous personal improvement in terms of overall efficiency/effectiveness as well as expertise in the sector
- Existing relationships with sizable foundations, nonprofits, and other organizations (not required but a significant plus)
We have a strong preference for locating this role in Salt Lake City, Utah. The area is routinely ranked as one of the best places in the nation to live, work, play, start a business, and much more. Many are surprised to learn that Salt Lake is on the cutting edge of work in the social sector, specifically in the areas of impact investing, pay for success, and government accountability and effectiveness. And Salt Lake is world-renowned for its access to extraordinary outdoor activities (e.g., hiking, skiing, fishing), art and culture (e.g., Sundance film festival, plays, concerts), and nightlife (e.g., events, attractions, dining).
Compensation is highly competitive and includes both salary and potential for end-of-year bonus; salary is negotiable based on experience. Cicero offers a full benefits package including retirement, medical, dental, and other offerings.